Monday, July 18, 2011

New Interview at Authors on Show!

Lori at Authors on Show was nice enough to do an interview with me about my debut novel Slate, literary influences, and lots more.

Here's an excerpt...


8. What do you think most characterizes your writing?
While many have been confused by the fact that I’ve written my first three books in three different genres, there’s plenty of similarities amongst my work that characterizes it all as my own. I try to move the story along at a fairly fast pace, and I like to flesh out my main characters as best I can. I’m a big fan of twist endings – check out my new horror novel Townhouse for an example of one of those! But the main underlying tone underneath all my work is one of darkness. Something I learned from Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer was to make the audience/reader fall in love with the characters and then put them in dangerous, potentially fatal situations. Slate, while very funny at times, goes into a very dark place at the end. Happy Birthday to Me, my YA novel, is goofy and light at times, but is overall a very scary novel about mortality. And my horror novel Townhouse, of course, takes its characters in EXTREMELY dark, violent places in the end. I grew up on horror films, and while I don’t want to just focus on horror fiction, I like to throw in horrific situations in my work, even if I’m writing a book aimed at young teens.
9. What is the biggest thing that people THINK they know about your subject/genre, that isn’t so?
Well, people may THINK there will be a twist ending, and they may THINK mostly happy story of mine will transition into horror and suspense in the final fifty pages. But it may not be true 100 percent of the time. My newest short story 11:57 has been published in two national magazines; it’s a story about two young men who meet each other at New Year’s accidentally, and it begins happily and it ends happily, with no darkness in between. Expect the unexpected with me. I might surprise you.

You can read the full interview by clicking here: Authors on Show. Thanks, Lori!

No comments:

Post a Comment